Sunday, July 12, 2015

TT-01 Top Speed Testing 2S


Today, I set out to clock the top speed of the TT-01 with the new 2S battery. Previously I was able to acheive about 34 to 39 mph on an old LiPo battery. With the idea in my head that a newer battery should equal better performance I went out to find out if it was faster.


After a nice smooth run around the parking lot to warm up the tires I decided to give it all she had. Much to my surprise the first high speed pass recorded 42 mph! Not bad I thought, a newer battery can eek out a little bit higher top speed.

Tangent: A few weeks earlier I was showing a friend of mine, Mr. Scott, (longtime R/C Buddy and friend of the blog) the new battery and did a short test run before losing some pieces from my driveline in a spectacular rollover wreck. Before the wreck Mr. Scott commented that with the new battery this car seemed faster than before (he was right!).

Well, after a few high speed passes today I decided to look at the GPS and here is what I saw
44.4 mph! Nicely displayed on the GPS was a new top speed and if you look at the odometer you'll see that I was able to run for 1.1 miles. I was nowhere near having a dead battery but since I didn't want to totally drain the LiPo I decided to head in. I got to thinking, I wonder how far a battery could go. Speed is one measure, distance could be the next measurement to track. Is it possible to run an R/C for 5 miles? Is it possible to run for 3 miles? Would a higher gear ratio/lower speed gear make it more efficient. (Perhaps an upcoming blog post could answer these questions).

In my quest of 50 mph I may try the TL-01 with the new battery next and see how close I am to the next level. I may also switch to a smooth body and smaller tires to achieve 50 mph from the TT-01. If that doesn't do it? Bring on a 3S LiPo and we'll see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment